Translate into any language

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Running for Zichron Menachem

On Friday, October 26, I plan to run in a 5K race near Latrun, at Kibbutz Nachson. I want to run for Zichron Menachem and raise money to support this wonderful non-profit organization that grants immediate, practical and long-term support to young cancer patients from the moment of diagnosis and throughout their battle with illness. ZM offers physical and emotional support to families throughout the long, excruciating ordeal.

Sponsors are welcome! 100% of donations will go directly to Zichron Menachem and are tax deductible in Israel and the US. Please click this link if you wish to donate via the website and you will receive a receipt, in the mail, from Zichron Menachem. Please write my name, Erika Lange, in the dedication line so that they know that the donation is being made in my name.

If you'd like to mail a donation check to my address made out to Zichron Menachem, please contact me and I'll send you my address.

If you'd like to wear a Zichron Menachem shirt and/or bracelet and run with me at the race, please contact me.

Yesterday was an extremely emotional day at chemotherapy. My neutrophil white blood count plummeted, and it looked like I wasn't going to be allowed to receive my treatment. After discussions with the doctors, my oncologist decided to go ahead with the treatment with caution.  24 hours after chemo, I need to get an injection of, Pegfilgrastim, which will cause my bone marrow to immediately produce more white blood cells. This drug is routinely given with other aggressive chemotherapy treatments such as, breast cancer chemo. It's not completely uncommon for survivors receiving chemotherapy.

After nine hours at chemotherapy, I was exhausted. Two of my children were at the Zichron Menachem Day Center which, is down the road from my hospital. My DH and I walked over to visit them. Moments after walking into the Zichron Menachem building, a quiet calm completely came over me as I watched my daughter and son interact with other children and the volunteer counselors; laughing, playing. I sat down with some of the volunteers and we talked and laughed too.

Zichron Menachem is new in our lives. I found them by chance when I walked in to donate hair to be made into wigs for young cancer survivors. I told them my story and the director asked me why I don't send my children to the Day Center. I had no idea that children of cancer patients could do that! Shortly after, my three older children arrived to participate in the activities at "Zamzam". From that day on we became part of a new family.

No comments:

Post a Comment